Mrs. Moore & Miss Warcholik
Suggested supplies for 2nd Grade
Welcome to 2nd Grade
Today I hurry off to school,
To work and learn and play.
I’m in a brand new grade this year,
What a happy day!
We are looking forward to a busy, fun and successful year! Here is a brief overview of what your child will be working on this year.
- Reading: We are implementing a balanced literacy program where our students will be working in small groups at their own instructional levels.
- Writing: We are utilizing a Writer’s Workshop format throughout the year. We will cover such genres as: personal narrative, informational, persuasive, realistic fiction, poetry, and more.
- Project Read: Each week we learn a new phonics skill and have a spelling test on Fridays.
- Math: We are exploring different ways to write numbers and how to use place value to find the values of numbers. Throughout the year we will work on addition, subtraction, measurement, geometry and problem-solving skills.
- Science: We will be using a new program this year called Science Fusion. It is directly aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) with a focus on STEM activities.
- Social Studies: We will learn about various map skills, American history, communities and people around us.
- Health: We are focusing on ways to stay safe and healthy.
Let’s have a terrific year together!